On Dec 20, 2008, at 1:59 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:

> As a result of messing around with the ZCA + ZCML outside the
> context of Zope,
> I've found that it may be possible to significantly reduce the
> number of egg
> dependencies of BFG by replacing the code that allows the following
> ZCML
> directives to work:
>
> - utility
> - adapter
> - interface
> - subscriber
>
> As such, I'm thinking of ditching the handlers written "zope"
> namespace for
> these directives in favor of handler written in the "bfg"
> namespace.  So, for

Interesting idea.  I suppose the decorator syntax wouldn't change, but
the machinery behind it would.

> example, rather than doing:
>
>  <configure xmlns="http://namespaces.zope.org/zope";>
>
>  <utility
>     provides=".interfaces.IFoo"
>     factory=".foo.Foo"/>
>
>  </configure>
>
> You would instead do:
>
>  <configure xmlns="http://namespaces.repoze.org/bfg";>
>
>  <utility
>     provides=".interfaces.IFoo"
>     factory=".foo.Foo"/>
>
>  </configure>
>
> The down side of this is that it would mean that existing
> applications that used
> ZCML would need to change their ZCML, or they'd at least need to
> declare
> "zope.security" as an install_requires dependency and do a manual
> include of the
> "zope.component" ZCML:
>
>  <include package="zope.component" file="meta.zcml" />

I think it's pretty reasonable to make that requirement in order to
get that gain.  Meaning, apps would still work with a one-line
setup.py change and a line of ZCML.

> Creating parallel "adapter", "utility" and "subscriber" handlers is
> really how I
> should have started things out, but I didn't, and given that there
> are people
> using the system in the wild that this would cause problems for in a
> new
> release, I wanted to ask for comments.
>
> Here are the dependencies we might be able to shed by doing this:
>
> zope.location-3.4.0-py2.4.egg
> zope.publisher-3.5.4-py2.4.egg
> zope.security-3.5.2-py2.4-macosx-10.5-i386.egg
> zope.traversing-3.5.0a4-py2.4.egg
> zope.i18n-3.6.0-py2.4.egg
> pytz-2008i-py2.4.egg
>
> My personal opinion is that doing this is "worth it" for the long
> term.  None of
> these packages actually *do* anything for bfg apps, they're just
> required to
> satisfy dependencies of features we can't use.

For applications that do a Zope-ish architecture (ZODB, security,
etc.), how many of those packages would they need to pull in manually?

--Paul