2009/4/27 Chris McDonough <chr...@plope.com>:
> Answering myself with the kind of navel-gazing which is sure to drive Tres
> nuts ;-):

Not answering anything, but this thread is as good a place as any:

I think the issue of overriding default components is unnatural.
Rather, I'd like to think of components in terms of availability,
rather than pluggability. Concretely, the following is *pluggability*:

  >>> by_interface = {}

Plug me once, you'll plug something out if you try it again.

That's not what the ZCA is about; I think it's rather about
availability, e.g. if I give you these N things, give me something
that provides some formal functionality (described by an interface).
The problem with this line of thought is that it breaks down when you
abuse it to multiplex user interface elements; because here it's not
about availability, it's about multiplexing.

I think we should reconsider the way we decide on views and related
components. Perhaps using a routes-like approach, e.g.

  <browser:page
      for=".interfaces.IHelpCenter .interfaces.IDocument"
      />

(to target documents inside the help center section). Or whatever
language/abstraction that can fit the bill. Note that to match this
"for" clause, something more than a simple component lookup is
required.

\malthe