Tres Seaver wrote:
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> Only having pyc files is also a pain with zope.testing and its eager
>> cleanup mode, which would constantly delete these files.
>
> I think the "keep .pyc files" mode is only for deployment (to GAE or
> other platforms which can't compile the templates);  it would be
> irrelevant for any development mode.

The pt to py compilation (or right now the unpickling and unmarshaling
of some cache files) is the one giving us problems on GAE. The py to
pyc/pyo should be handled by any Python interpreter.

If I'm not mistaken there's plenty of options for mass-compiling all py
files in a package to pyc/pyo, setuptools binary eggs being one of them.
I don't see why chameleon should invent something on its own here.

Hanno