Hi Iain,

At the time I started using BFG, the options I had didn't quite
attracted me that much so I decided to roll it on my own. My main goal
was to quickly create form widgets from python code using a XML
factory ( template independent ).
Today it's called repoze.etreeform [1] and although it doesn't have a
stable release yet, we use it for all our internal apps (BFG, z3 and
plone) with some decent stability.
It also ships with some helper functions that will allow one to easily
create fieldsets, groups and wizards.
Validation is provided by a simple function that will use Formencode
validators against request data.
The entire library is loose coupled so nothing is connected to
anything. The Form class is just a mean to put widgets together, pass
values and errors to them and also render it.
I also wrote some documentation [2].

Let me know if you experiment with it and run into problems,

Regards,
Fernando

[1] http://svn.repoze.org/repoze.etreeform/trunk/
[2] http://svn.repoze.org/repoze.etreeform/trunk/repoze/etreeform/README.txt