HI Chris

I a way you describing something simliar to what we have in zope2, in
that from a tal expression we have access to
(via acquisition) all of the portal tools etc...

I wonder if a couple of hi level functions could be put into the
namespace, (or the view for instance) that allow you
to lookup adapters and utilities in a simpler way, or alternately use
a view class and push the view handle into the template
and hang all of the extra api you need there. I have taken to useing
view classes most of the time and
always providing "view" as well as context and request.

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 5:43 AM, Chris McDonough <chr...@plope.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Is this the sort of thing you have in mind?
>>
>>> class TemplateAPI:
>>>     def __init__(self, context, request):
>>>         ... do stuff ...
>>>
>>> Then in a view:
>>>
>>> api = TemplateAPI(context, request)
>>> return render_template_to_response('templates/mytemplate.pt',
>>>                                      api=api)
>>>
>>> When the template needs access to "common" names, it then does e.g.
>>> tal:content="api.something".
>>
>> I guess I don't exactly follow what the top level common names are. Are
>> they things like topnav, header, footer, where those are calculated
>> based on context and security?
>>
>>> Malthe said it might be possible to register one or more new TAL expression
>>> types (each of which might represent a namespace) so templates could do
>>> something like tal:content="api:something" (note colon instead of dot) to
>>> get
>>> top-level names instead.  The view would no longer need to pass an "api" to
>>> provide the template with access to very common top-level names.
>>
>> I personally like this sort of thing. With zpt in a grok/plone setting,
>> I've found myself writing traversal adapters for things like checking
>> security, or application wide custom template "filters". It's much
>> easier to be able to use these in a template by using this sort of
>> syntax rather than passing them on through the view. For example:
>>
>> <a tal:attributes="href model_url(context, request, 'edit')"
>>    tal:condition="context/has_permission:edit">Edit</a>
>>
>> Maybe some sort of syntax for model_url would be convenient too :)
>> What do you guys typically do?
>>
>>> However, computing the values for the top-level names often requires access
>>> stuff in the request or the context, and the current "render_template" APIs
>>> don't require that you pass either in to the view.
>>>
>>> I guess we could provide an alternate implementation of the template* APIs
>>> (like
>>> render_template_to_response and get_template, etc) that must be passed the
>>> request (the request has access to the context too as request.context) as
>>> the
>>> first argument if values for names needed to be computed based on those
>>> bits of
>>> information.
>>
>> That sounds reasonable to me.
>>
>>> If views had access to top-level names like this, we could also just do
>>> owraps
>>> the more traditional way (using METAL), if one of the names was e.g.
>>> "main_template".  I suppose the names would be computed via an adapter
>>> lookup
>>> just like the rm.owrap stuff does now.
>>
>> For cases where the owrap varies a lot from view to view, I think the
>> metal approach works well. But for times when the dynamicness of the
>> owrap can be easily calculated from the owrap, I think pushing it to the
>> owrap makes sense.
>>
>>> That said, I don't think that approach is mutually exclusive with the
>>> approach.  The pagelet approach is more generic: any templating language