Tim Hoffman wrote:
> HI Chris
>
> I a way you describing something simliar to what we have in zope2, in
> that from a tal expression we have access to
> (via acquisition) all of the portal tools etc...
>
> I wonder if a couple of hi level functions could be put into the
> namespace, (or the view for instance) that allow you
> to lookup adapters and utilities in a simpler way, or alternately use
> a view class and push the view handle into the template
> and hang all of the extra api you need there. I have taken to useing
> view classes most of the time and
> always providing "view" as well as context and request.

That's another way to think of it, yep.

BFG views can be classes, but aren't necessarily classes, so I'd like to
try to find some solution that would take this into account.

I suppose that we could come up with a "page" directive that wrapped a
callable which always returned a dictionary:

<page
  callable=".pages.my_page"
  template="templates/mytemplate.pt"
  />

The callable referenced by the directive would be something that
promised to returne a dictionary, e.g.:

def my_page(context, request):
     return {'a':1}

The BFG view wrapper created by the "page" ZCML definition would look
more or less like so:

from webob import Response

class Page:
     def __init__(self, callable, template):
         self.callable = callable
         self.template = template

     def __call__(self, context, request):
         dictionary = self.callable(context, request)
         dictionary.setdefault('page', self)
         return Response(self.template(**dictionary))

view = Page()

But having "page" in the template namespace won't help us too much
unless we can vary the page view wrapper implementation, adding methods
and such, at least on a per-application basis, ala:

<pageview
   implementation=".page.MyPageView"/>

Seems a little clunky though, eh?

- C