Am 16.04.2010, 17:42 Uhr, schrieb Casey Duncan <ca...@pandora.com>:

> activate is a bit of a kludge, though it seems easy enough to just have
> multiple shells open if activate screws with certain tasks. I'm curious
> though, how do you switch virtualenvs? I can envision creating wrapper
> scripts that only pollute the environment for a single process (running
> it in a subshell or whatever), is that what you are doing?

> I have to admit I haven't used virtualenv a whole lot, so I'm interested
> in hearing what you seasoned old timers do ;^)

I don't know if I count as an old timer but I've been seriously tripped up
by "activate". virtualenv just sets up local Python environment for a
project. All you then need to remember is to run "bin/pip", as opposed to
"pip" to install stuff. So, you don't need to worry about closing the
shell or wondering about any side-effects when you do something in the
same shell a few days later. "activate" provides minimal additional
convenience at the risk of considerable confusion.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director