The narayana transaction manager has a rest service that creates [transaction] Coordinator resources. These resources map onto conventional ACID transactions. It is up to your service to decide what to do when the "transaction" is completing. However, we also have a "JTA Bridge" that will detect when your JAX-RS service performs JTA work (JMS, JPA etc) and automatically enlist those XA participants with the currently active coordinator.

Our on-line docs [1] contains descriptions of the [REST-AT] protocol and our implementation of it including a small section on the bridge [2]. We have a number of quickstarts [3] that show it action including a quickstart that demonstrates how to enable and use the JTA (inbound) bridge [4].

We also provide an integration API [5] that abstracts the mechanics of participating in REST-AT transactions - there is a high level description of it on our team blog [6].

[1] http://narayana.io/documentation/
[REST-AT] http://narayana.io/docs/specs/restat-v2-draft-8-2013-jul-29.pdf
[2] http://narayana.io/docs/project/index.html#_interoperating_with_other_transaction_models
[3] https://github.com/jbosstm/quickstart/tree/master/rts
[4] https://github.com/jbosstm/quickstart/tree/master/rts/at/jta-service
[5] http://narayana.io/docs/project/index.html#_support_for_java_based_services [6] http://jbossts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/out-of-box-support-for-restful.html

I have an web application "A" that occasionally have to insert/update records that belong to another application, "B". To manage this requirement, application "B" expose some REST endpoints that application "A" will call whenever it needs.

Problem is, we need to make sure that the inserts/updates occurring in both applications are atomic.

Does anyone have done something similar and can point a solution? I know that there's a debate whether transactions in REST are conceptually wrong, but we're willing to break the rules in this case.

OK let's not go there then (but when you say "we're willing to break the rules" you are already tacitly stating on which side of the argument you stand).

Mike

Regards!

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

Michael Musgrove
Red Hat UK Ltd, Transactions Team
e: mmusg...@redhat.com
t: +44 191 243 0870

Directors: Michael Cunningham (US), Charles Peters (US), Matt Parson (US),
Michael O'Neill(Ireland)