on 2/4/00 6:16 AM, Garret J. Cleversley at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My next mission is to see how ASIP server reacts to being a client on my
> backups. I don't like to mount all the drives I need (especially the boot
> drive) to back them up on my retrospect server so I'd like to run just the
> client software.. Maybe Matt has some answers here??

I'm running Retrospect on its own box, and our ASIP server is running the
Retrospect client. Works great, though there are a few caveats: Don't set
the backup to highest priority in the Retrospect control panel on the ASIP
server, and if you use Rebound! or similar auto-restart hardware, you'll
want to set the timeout period to at least 15 minutes (mine's at 30) to
ensure that the tickler won't timeout due to the overhead of the backup.

<><
Jon L. Gardner '89, Computer Systems Manager <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Texas A&M University Dept. of Food Services <http://food.tamu.edu/>
Tel 409.458.1839 Fax 409.845.2157 ICQ 34792860
PGP public key available at <http://food.tamu.edu/pgp/jon.html>