Dirk,

I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago, when two brand new G4's with MacOS
9.0.4 consistently failed to be backed-up as clients to a G3 server.  I found I could
down-tune the Retrospect clients for these two systems from TCP/IP to AppleTalk, after
which their backups would run to sompletion.  Prior to that they failed every time
with 519 errors after just a few megabytes had been copied to tape.

I haven't revisited the problem since.  All software was MacOS 9.0.4 and Retrospect
4.3 (application and client).

Brooks Peters
NSWC, CarderockDiv
Bethesda, MD