Thank you for taking a look at the problem.  It is very helpful to know that
it is not just a mistake on my part.

Is it likely that a beta1 -> beta3 upgrade will work? That is to say, might
the beta3 schema be such that the postgres issue is circumvented?

Alternatively, might I be able to use an SQLite3 database as a bridge;
something like a django-admin dump to json from the postgres install
create a new beta1 site using sqlite3 and use django-admin to load the json
to it.

Then I could upgrade to beta2 - and evolve the sqlite3 site; create a new
postgres install (using beta2) and load json into it from the upgraded
sqlite3 site.

Regards.