On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:03 AM, Robert Munteanu
<robert.munte...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 10:35 PM, Christian Hammond
> <chip...@chipx86.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, but you're correct. It's a virtual line
>> number that is based on the generated diff using our specific algorithm. We
>> use virtual line numbers rather than real numbers because real numbers
>> wouldn't necessarily make sense depending on how you generate the diff
>> (different algorithms may decide to insert lines differently, or fall back
>> on replaces more, or whatever).
>>

> Hi Christian,
>
> Thanks for confirming the general algorithm. I suspected I would be in for
> a fun ride :-)
>
> For my purposes I need to get 1-to-1 mapping with the line numbers shown on
> ReviewBoard . I guide myself after the unified diff algorithm as generated
> by diff from diffutils . Is that a safe path to take or does RB perform this
> mapping differently?

Using our exact output is safe. Don't try to fork the algorithm, as we don't
guarantee it'll stay the same release-to-release (even though it has so far
-- we've only changed the core part once, but still..).

>> What you can do is take our generated diff from the API and use that to
>> reverse-map the virtual line numbers back to the real ones.
>>

> That's what I started on. To ask a related question, does RB preserve the
> exact patch submitted, e.g. for Subversion, or does it serve an equivalent
> patch, possibly adjusted for its internal purposes?

We've been known to mess with certain diffs, often inadvertently. Sometimes
things get stripped. That'll only be extra headers, though, and not the
content.

If you use the API, you can actually get the raw diff opcodes that you would
need to perform this mapping. Don't spend time trying to re-implement any of
our stuff. Instead, look at:

http://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/dev/webapi/2.0/resources/file-diff/

This should make your life much easier.

(Note that this is per-FileDiff.)