Ahh ok.  So a bit more info:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/228225/prevent-redirection-of-xmlhttprequest

 If the origin of the URL conveyed by the Location header is same
 origin with the XMLHttpRequest origin and the redirect does not
 violate infinite loop precautions, transparently follow the
 redirect while observing the same-origin request event rules.

I'm assuming origin here works the same as normal SOP browser stuff, so
http -> https will break.
How are you crafting the api url for the post (not all the api calls fail,
some of them are flaky occasionally though).  Do you use a protocol
relative url?  //reviews.apache.org/path/to/api
or do you build it off of some variable in the config?