Hello Xu Hao,

I'm doing much the same as you, rebuilding and relabelling RHEL. I've also
found it to be difficult but I'm slowly getting there. I'm not the best
person to help you but I'll see what I can do.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 01:11 pm, you wrote:
> Hi all:
>
>  I'm Chinese and last week I decided to build a customized linux
> distribution of Chinese version based on redhat enterprise 3.0 srpms. I
> just finished editing comps.xml and rebuilding a distribution on my machine
> without replacing any redhat logos and "Red Hat", "RedHat" and "redhat"
> string.
>
> And now I have to do all the replacement. I found that this is
> really an complex thing to do and I feel frustrated and there isn't anyone
> doing this here in Beijing so I cannot discuss this with anyone so I found
> this list.

I'm more-or-less at the same point as you. I'm trying a secound rebuild on the
initail one I created before I get into relabelling.

Another good resource is the whitebox project:
http://www.beau.org/~jmorris/linux/whitebox/. Whitebox is a relabelled
version of RHEL.

>   Here is what I know about this by far:
>      I have to modify anaconda, anaconda-help, and replace all the images
> in anaconda-images; I have to modify comps rpm and rpmdb rpm and rpm rpm.
>      I have to modify initscripts rpm.
>      I have to modify redhat-release rpm, and change it's name.
>
>   I have several questions:
>
>   1. Exactly which packages should I modify thus the end users will not see
> any redhat things while keep all the redhat copyright things intact ? Has
> anyone published a complete list?

I haven't come across a list yet, but I've been looking into the packages that
are changed for whitebox and using that as a rough guide. Here is my current
listing (Note that I am focusing on the ES packages):

anaconda-9.1-8.RHEL.src.rpm
comps-3es-0.20031007.src.rpm
mozilla-1.4-3.0.18.src.rpm
rhn-applet-2.0.12-1.src.rpm
anaconda-help-9.1-3.RHEL.src.rpm
redhat-artwork-0.73.2-1E.src.rpm
rhnlib-1.3-12.src.rpm
anaconda-images-9.1-2.RHEL.src.rpm
firstboot-1.1.19-1.src.rpm
redhat-config-soundcard-1.0.8-1.src.rpm
rpm-4.2.1-4.2.src.rpm
httpd-2.0.46-25.ent.src.rpm
redhat-logos-1.1.14.3-1.src.rpm
rpmdb-redhat-3-0.20031007.src.rpm
anaconda-product-3-1ES.src.rpm
indexhtml-3-1.src.rpm
sysstat-4.0.7-4.src.rpm
initscripts-7.31.6.EL-1.src.rpm
redhat-release-3ES-1.src.rpm
up2date-4.0.1-1.src.rpm
mkinitrd-3.5.13-1.src.rpm
xscreensaver-4.10-4.src.rpm

> 2. There are three redhat comps srpms,
> as, es and ws. Do I have to include a comps rpm in my distribution? How to
> build this rpm according to my cust distribution?

I just pick one and run with that. You can have a look at what each one stands
for on redhat's site, then pick the one that best suits your needs. Or, you
could compile a distro of each if you like... You also have to watch your
anaconda-product and redhat-release packages.

> 3. What is the use of
> rpmdb-redhat rpm? How to build my rpmdb-confucious rpm?

I think it's used during the install process... not sure though. I think that
the disto name is pulled from the ~/.rpmmacros file. Have a look at the
whitebox howto for more info.

> 4. Are there any
> references between these modifications and what are them? I mean, i.e. if I
> change /etc/redhat-release to /etc/confucious-release and do not make any
> related modification, I guess that things will go wrong. 5. Do I have to
> modify anything in /usr/lib/rpm/ in my build maching(taroon)?

Can't help you here execpt that I would think that every reference must be
changed to match your distro.

6. Anything
> else to modify?

Other then the packages above and the release name you specifiy in the build
process and .rpmmacros - I am not sure.

>   7. Is there an howto about all this? I think I need it more than any
> other people in      the solar system.

I'd like to know this as well.

> Sorry for bad English and sorry for asking so many questions in one email.
> Any help will be appreciated and happy monkey's year to you all.
> Thanks
>
> Xu Hao
> Beijing

Good luck,

Matthew Smith
rhel-rebuild mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hosted at the University of Innsbruck, Austria