Brian thank you for the feedback.

-ilya

-----Original Message-----
From: rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com [mailto:rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Brian Long
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 10:26 AM
To: rhelv5-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [rhelv5-list] Benchmark and Burn-In Tools

On 12/9/11 4:46 PM, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> I'm looking for a tool(s) that would do:
>

> 1) OS benchmarking, i.e. how one OS does performs on specific hardware
> vs another hardware or newer/older OS - with some scoring system

Unless you write a benchmark which is similar to your internal workload,
most artificial benchmarks will not help you determine which hardware is
best suited to that workload.  If you're concerned about database
performance, for example, you could write a tool which recreates certain
database actions and perform it over and over on different mixes of
hardware to see how well it performs.

I remember benchmarking Oracle RAC on 2-socket and 4-socket systems with
various workloads.  Depending on the size of the database and its
configuration, the 2-socket system was almost always faster than the
4-socket system.  It wasn't until you loaded down the system with more
and more load that the 4-socket system would show its prowess.  We found
that for most cases (database, compile nodes, web nodes, etc), 2-socket
systems were ideal and the added cost of 4-socket systems was not
required.  This was before virtualization took off a few years back.

There is also spec.org which has various published results from hardware
vendors.

> 2) OS, driver and hardware burn-in testing
>
> * for this one, I found a decent amount of tools, but I could not find
> all in one suite that puts them together. Currently using:

I don't have a good answer for you here.

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                             |       |
       Corporate Security Programs Org    . | | | . | | | .