To connect to server.domain.org insecurely, use `--no-check-
-> certificate'.
-> Unable to establish SSL connection.
->
-> Because IE and FF do not complain about the SSL warning, I think my
-> installation is correct, but why wget shows that error ?
->
-> Any advice is greatly appreciated.

WGET doesn't have the extensive built-in certificate authority chain that FF
and IE ship with.  It may or may-not also have OCSP (Online certificate status
protocol) support depending on OpenSSL/GNU_TLS.

And because the Mozilla NSS people use a proprietary format for storing root
CAs in a database, they can't be easily used by either system.

It was years ago when I found a way to use the CLI to extract them and convert
them to OpenSSL certdir format using c_rehash for the symlinks.

I needed it for the Nagios plugin check_ssl_certvalid

Start with
http://lnotestoself.blogspot.com/2011/02/wget-and-ssl-certificates.html <---

~BAS