Hi Marco,

I don't know much about bonding, but I have done it on some RHEL5 --
well, actually Scientific Linux 5, but same thing -- machines like below.
Not sure if that's considered active-passive or active-active or what,
but it does fail over that way.

ifcfg-eth0/1:
----
DEVICE=eth0/1
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
----

ifcfg-bond0:
----
DEVICE=bond0
IPADDR=216.87.206.10
NETMASK=255.255.255.192
BROADCAST=216.87.206.63
GATEWAY=216.87.206.1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPRO=none
----

/etc/modprobe.conf:
----
alias eth0 e1000e
alias eth1 e1000e
alias bond0 bonding
----

There's more documentation about this here:

http://backdrift.org/howtonetworkbonding

I haven't looked at this in a long time, so I'm not sure how this compares to

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Deployment_Guide/s2-networkscripts-interfaces-chan.html

Hope this helps,

     Horst