Hi Guys,

I currently manage all patching (and rpm installs) of RHEL 5 servers via
our internal RHN Satellite server.  However, due to funding and other
reasons, we are trying to save $$ and would prefer not to purchase
management licenses for our RHN Satellite server.  I was wondering how
other folks out there are managing their RHEL servers?

What I am thinking of doing is only having a few licenses for my Satellite
server and then using reposync to create manual repositories on a physical
server (by extracting the rpms from RHN channels on our internal satellite)
and have the clients register to these repositories instead of the
satellite server.  This way I would have the same patches and cut on the
cost of purchasing management licenses for our Satellite server.  Do you
see any downside to this approach?  Are others doing something similar?  I
have a growing environment of about 500 RHEL servers.

Also, I only use the internal RHN Satellite server for patching and nothing
else (no provisioning, kickstart files etc - done elsewhere).

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
-J