From: rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com [mailto:rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Timothy Renner
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:07 PM
To: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (Tikanga) discussion mailing-list
Subject: Re: [rhelv5-list] dedup fs

I've used SDFS... It has some nice features, but is unfortunately unstable.  I
lost data a couple of times in testing.

Another alternative is ZFS on Linux ( http://zfsonlinux.org/ ).  I've been
trying this out for a little while now and it seem to be much better.  I have
yet to figure out how to do an instant copy of a file, but dedup seems to be
working beautifully.  I'm getting ~45-50MB/sec out of an SSD and core 5 duo.
Dedup is using quite a lot of CPU power, which seems to be the limiting factor
on my bandwidth.  For stability, I've had no data loss and only a single kernel
panic in the ZFS code (2.6.39 custom kernel on Ubuntu 10.04.3).

-Tim