Besides hardcoding the MAC address in ifcfg-ethX config, I'd say look into
creating custom udev rules for your interfaces.

-----Original Message-----
From: rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com [mailto:rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Marco Shaw
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:56 AM
To: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (Tikanga) discussion mailing-list
Subject: [rhelv5-list] eth device naming

I'm having problems getting the eth devices numbered as I'd like them so 2
nodes of a cluster will match.

One server had a 2nd NIC added after the OS was installed, and that seems to
have wreaked havoc.

This seems to have a bunch of different suggestions:
http://www.science.uva.nl/research/air/wiki/LogicalInterfaceNames

What concerns me is that I'm going to have 2 interfaces that will be part of a
bond, so I don't know if I can work reliably using the MAC address.

I noticed modprobe.conf was wrong, so fixed that, but I think I'm still seeing
the numbering being different between host A and B.

Any ideas/comments?  Can I rely on the MAC address to hardcode the device
number when I'm using bonding?

Marco