> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got an IBM x3650 M4 I want to kickstart with RHEL5 (64 bit).  This is
> the first model of this type I've been handed and I can't quite seem to
> get
> my head around how to get it booting from USB stick.  It may be something
> do with the UEFI vs BIOS thing but a known-good USB stick with syslinux on
> it that I've used on 40 Sun/Dell chassis comes up as "NTLDR is missing"
> when
> I use it with this box, which is a bit odd to say the least.
>
> Can someone give me some hints on how I might get things working, please?
>
> With thanks,
>
> Ben
> --
> Unix Support, MISD, University of Cambridge, England

I recall having to enable "Legacy Only" mode on various IBM UEFI servers
to get USB storage to work correctly at boot time in the past. Maybe try
that.

Also check out this document:

http://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/84573-3395/introducing_uefi-compliant_firmware_on_ibm_system_x.1.0.pdf

-- Quote --
USB storage:
USB storage is similar to a hard disk in that it has an MBR. However,
because it is removable
media, the specification allows for USB storage to include a
\efi\boot\bootx64.efi file. If a USB key
contains the file, it is EFI bootable. You can place a fullshell.efi file
on a USB key and rename it to
\efi\boot\bootx64.efi. Then, if you boot to the USB key, it EFI boots to
the shell. If there is no
\efi\boot\bootxX64.efi file on the USB key, the UEFI boot manager examines
the MBR, and if it is
designated as bootable, the server goes into BIOS mode and boots the USB
key. (See “Starting
the UEFI shell” for information about obtaining and running the shell
environment.)
-------

Try investigating or placing /efi/boot/ files on the USB drive. The UEFI
shell is also fairly useful for diagnosing boot issues.

--
Tim