On Mon, 9 Jul 2012, Tim wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've got an IBM x3650 M4 I want to kickstart with RHEL5 (64 bit). This is the first model of this type I've been handed and I can't quite seem to get my head around how to get it booting from USB stick. It may be something to do with the UEFI vs BIOS thing but a known-good USB stick with syslinux on it that I've used on 40 Sun/Dell chassis comes up as "NTLDR is missing" when I use it with this box, which is a bit odd to say the least.

Can someone give me some hints on how I might get things working, please?

With thanks,

Ben

I recall having to enable "Legacy Only" mode on various IBM UEFI servers to get USB storage to work correctly at boot time in the past. Maybe try that.

I had indeed tried that.

Also check out this document:

http://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/84573-3395/introducing_uefi-compliant_firmware_on_ibm_system_x.1.0.pdf
[...]

Interesting! Certainly something to bear in mind for the future. Thank you.

Try investigating or placing /efi/boot/ files on the USB drive. The UEFI
shell is also fairly useful for diagnosing boot issues.

What it turned out to be in the end was that the "integral" (that's the brand(1)) USB key we had been using successfully on over 80 Sun/Oracle and Dell chassis is actually _two_ USB devices. One is a sort of virtual USB Floppy and the other a standard generic USB storage device. With all the other servers (including an IBM x3650 M3) the hardware found the USB storage device part, found it was bootable and then syslinux and got on with things. The x3650 M4 got stuck looking at the USB Floppy part and obviously failed to boot as we don't use that part for anything (it being only 1.44MB in size). Finding another USB stick without a virtual floppy bit and getting that bootable with all our kickstart stuff solved the issue.

Thanks again!

1: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-USB-2-0-Flash-Drive/dp/B000WMU6H8

Ben