Hi

I  am following an EMC Networker guide which is mentioning stopping
irqbalance as a service and setting affnity for all network interfaces that
that is faster than 1Gb.

This is not something I have done before so learning rapidly.

The logic behind it seems fine, and the Red Hat guide seems to suggest the
same:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Performance_Tuning_Guide/s-cpu-irq.html

However this guide is for 6 and I am using 5.8 so I am reading it with a
pinch of 5.8 salt.

I have a number of questions:
1. The server in question is virtual. Logically it would seem that setting
CPU affinity on virtualized infrastructure would have the same effect as on
physical infrastructure. Valid assumption?

2. The server is provisioned with 4 cpu's each with 1 core. However cat
/proc/irq/83/smp_affinity which is my interrupt for eth0 shows
00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000001
(with irqbalance turned off )
I am not yet completely clear on how the masking word and have yet to find
a cleIar explanation. This value is double the amount of cores I actually
have. This is a bit confusing so any explanation would be appreciated.

3. Lastly how do I set affinity, although understanding q2 would answer q3?
I am happy to reread any documentation. The man 5 proc was not detailed
enough and I found the above mentioned Red Hat guide also lacking in
clarity.

Disclaimer: Still suffering from the effects of a server bout of man flu so
any lack of clarity might be entirely down to me....

Regards

--
Gerhardus Geldenhuis