At 06:41 AM 29/12/2004, paul illich wrote:

My impression of the list is based on a short timespan, mostly the
"dispute" between Garth who appears to make many sweeping and incorrect
remarks, and Wendy, who is affronted and strikes back sweepingly.

Paul

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

     -----
    / o o \
===OO=====OO==================================================
http://pnews.org/ (links)
http://pnews.org/PhpWiki/ (West Coast News Wiki)
http://g0lem.net/PhpWiki/ (East Coast News Wiki)
Sub/Unsub [pnews-l - rhetoric] :: http://pnews.org/signup.shtml

 FIGHT THE RIGHT!

I do not wish to perpetuate this topic but, with respect, if I have made "many sweeping and incorrect statements" as you say, I suggest that you should have responded at the time, pointed out which statements meet that categorization and told me how you though I was in error rather than sitting back and now making lordly and unspecific judgements in retrospect. Debate is about taking part at the time - not sitting back as some form of moderator or adjudicator. At least Wendy put her head above the parapet and while I may disagree with her I respect her for expressing herself directly and standing by what she said. If I am wrong in what I say I will admit it (and did so when I read what Wendy had done with signature blocks incorrectly and did when I acknowledged I was incorrect is asserting that female genital mutilation was a Muslim practice). Certainly you are entitled to your opinion but unless you actually are prepared to take part in the debate you really have very little credibility in making a judgement about something you obviously either did not read or did not understand - otherwise you would point out the areas on error. But you have made the statement - what was an incorrect statement or were the incorrect statements? Lets us deal with issues and not people.

Garth Cartledge

" Despotism sits nowhere so secure as under the effigy and ensigns of
Freedom", From Imaginary Conversations of Greeks and Romans (1853) by
Walter Savage Landor 1775-1864

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.299 / Virus Database: 265.6.6 - Release Date: 28/12/2004