Not being familiar with basho bench, these might seem like stupid
questions, but here goes:

What are the sizes of the operations that you're performing?
How have you configured your EBS storage?

A single EBS volume can only perform about 100 I/O operations per second,
give or take. A single host in AWS has a 1 gigabit ethernet connection.
That means every guest on the host has, at most, a theoretical maximum of
125MB/s of throughput for both incoming *and* outgoing data transfer. Due
to TCP/IP overhead, this is closer to 70-80MB/s.

If you're writing a lot of small items and causing flushes to disk (DW >
0), then there's your problem.
If you're writing a lot of large items, there's your problem.

If not, please see the previous emails from Basho employees, who are much
smarter than me. :)
---
Jeremiah Peschka
Managing Director, Brent Ozar PLF, LLC