---
Jeremiah Peschka
Founder, Brent Ozar Unlimited

On Nov 7, 2012, at 6:45 AM, "Kevin Burton" <rkevinbur...@charter.net> wrote:

> Thank you this will help. I am a little new to the administration of init.d.
> What do I need to edit to remove the startup of the Riak instance? What
> should be changed to the init.d to run the script on boot up? I notice that
> the script only has functions.

You should consult your Linux distribution for helpful hints on doing this.
This[1] may be of some help.

[1]: http://www.unixtutorial.org/2009/01/disable-service-startup-in-ubuntu/

> How are the functions used?

You'd use those functions the same way you would use any other Linux command.

> You also do ‘ulimit –n 1024’. On installation I received a warning that 1024
> was too low. Should the ulimit be changed?

Yes. You'll rapidly run into problems with open file handles, especially with
multiple Riak nodes on the same box.