From: "Guido Medina" <guido.med...@temetra.com>
To: "riak-users" <riak-users@lists.basho.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 9:05:16 PM
Subject: Re: Upgrade path 1.4.0

Release notes: https://github.com/basho/riak/blob/1.4/RELEASE-NOTES.md

Maybe related to this?
Known Issues
leveldb 1.3 to 1.4 conversion

The first execution of 1.4.0 leveldb using a 1.3.x or 1.2.x dataset will
initiate an automatic conversion that could pause the startup of each node by 3
to 7 minutes. The leveldb data in "level #1" is being adjusted such that "level
#1" can operate as an overlapped data level instead of as a sorted data level.
The conversion is simply the reduction of the number of files in "level #1" to
being less than eight via normal compaction of data from "level #1" into "level
#2". This is a one time conversion.
HTH,

Guido.