On 10/07/13 23:14, Jared Morrow wrote:
We try to post the packages to all the right places before we make
the announcement  so I'd highly recommend you don't just auto-update
Riak packages when they hit apt/yum.

Ah, actually we don't automatically update them, but someone was performing a pass of unrelated package updates and accidentally pulled in the riak ones too.

I'm glad you eventually got all your nodes upgraded.

Thanks. It wasn't painful in the end; just a bit of a shock at the time when the cluster fell over. I'm still not sure why that was, but I wasn't the one performing the upgrades that seemed to cause it.

I suspect it was just too many nodes being down at once, possibly due to the delayed start-up during the upgrade.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 5:42 AM, Toby Corkindale
<toby.corkind...@strategicdata.com.au
<mailto:toby.corkind...@strategicdata.com.au>> wrote:

    Yeah, I didn't think 1.4.0 was into final release yet either -- yet
    it came through on the Debian and Ubuntu apt repositories
    automatically this evening.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Guido Medina" <guido.med...@temetra.com
    <mailto:guido.med...@temetra.com>>
    To: "riak-users" <riak-users@lists.basho.com
    <mailto:riak-users@lists.basho.com>>
    Sent: Wednesday, 10 July, 2013 9:39:02 PM
    Subject: Re: Upgrade path 1.4.0

    Hi Toby,

    I'm sure someone from Basho will answer soon, I just pointed you to the
    "release notes" direction. I have only overlooked the release notes
    until we decide to migrate to 1.4.0 when is final (Right now on rc1)

    HTH,

    Guido.

    On 10/07/13 12:29, Toby Corkindale wrote:
     > Thanks Guido.
     >
     > Looks like we've upgraded to 1.4.0 completely now and the cluster
    is back up.

     > I'm not sure of the exact root cause, but what we were seeing was
    that too many nodes went down for the ring to be healthy, and then
    when nodes were restarted they waited for the ring to appear for a
    while, and then exited (or crashed) automatically.

     > I *think* this is because after the package was upgraded, the
    Riak service didn't restart after the upgrade -- and our automated
    system to catch that and restart them wasn't kicking in quickly
    enough compared to the rate at which the servers were being upgraded.

     > You mention in the release notes that the init scripts have been
    adjusted - maybe that has something to do with it?