Thanks for the clarification Matthew. One thing remaining and I understand
there is no clear cut, 100% answer to this one. Your remark regarding old
values of a key only getting purged if they happen to participate in the same
compaction, can you please elaborate on that and specifically what the chances
are that this occurs. Given that I'm adding around 100.000 objects per month
and I'm now trying to remove those that are a year old - so there have been
around 1M insertions after that, what are the odds that they'll participate in
the same compaction? And if the odds are small, would it be better (higher
chance of getting purged) to delete the key altogether?

Thanks,
Timo