Thanks very much for your prompt replies. I am using the bitcask backend.
For now I am just trying to use /home/nabil/riak as the directory as I test
this out on my development machine, although naturally that is not the
ultimate destination we have in mind for our production servers.

I have changed all of the paths quite similarly to the linked gist. There
are indeed errors in the Riak logs; I've pasted them here:
http://pastebin.com/tQer69eJ

As you can see many of them appear to related to file permissions, but like
I said I've chowned the directory to the riak user and group:

[nabil@localhost riak]$ pwd
/home/nabil/riak
[nabil@localhost riak]$ ls -latrR .
.:
total 8
drwxrwxr-x.  2 riak  riak  4096 Apr  4 11:59 .
drwx------. 62 nabil nabil 4096 Apr  4 15:51 ..

Any additional advice you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks again
for what you've already told me.

Nabil