Hi Alexander,

Very nice answer, interesting! Can you explain how to do this with Riak
Search? I had to admit I never used it in the past (Riak 0.14 and Riak
1.x), and once installed Riak 2.0 and tried to enable it my Riak cluster
was not starting (I guess I missed something in the configuration).

Cheers,
Alex

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Christian Dahlqvist <christ...@basho.com>
wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> In Riak 2.0 you can create a map data type that can contain a number of
> related counters. If you have a limited number of named counters, e.g. for
> scorers in the World Cup, this would allow you to update multiple counters
> using a single operation and read all of then as a single key retrieval.
>
> If you however have a large number of counters that can not fit into a
> single value, this approach will not work. Instead of trying to retrieve
> the top values through MapReduce, you could instead enable Riak Search 2.0
> for the bucket and query the largest values through Solr, which should be
> more efficient and flexible than using MapReduce.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christian
>

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Alex De la rosa <alex.rosa....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A "set" may not be a good solution if you have many counters getting
>> updated at once and you should do the sorting (if possible) before saving
>> the "set" back into RIAK.
>>
>> The goal scoring was a very simple/small example... but imagine you want
>> to do Twitter's Trending Topics counting which twits has more comments (if
>> we have a "comments" counter)... will be too massive to save it all in a
>> "set".
>>
>> I guess that MapReduce will be the way in this case.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alex
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Alexander Sicular <sicul...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Not that I know of. I believe keys are independent in this regard. Basho
>>> is introducing sets in riak 2.0 but I don't think they will bee sorted sets
>>> like in redis.
>>>
>>> -Alexander
>>>
>>> @siculars
>>> http://siculars.posthaven.com
>>>
>>> Sent from my iRotaryPhone
>>>
>>> On Jun 29, 2014, at 15:54, Alex De la rosa <alex.rosa....@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I have a question about something that just came up to my mind... can we
>>> determine which counter is higher in a bucket? For example:
>>>
>>> # Taking the FIFA World Cup as example:
>>>
>>> bucket = client.bucket_type('counter_bucket').bucket('goals')
>>> counter = bucket.new('Neymar')
>>> counter.increment(4)
>>> counter = bucket.new('Messi')
>>> counter.increment(4)
>>> counter = bucket.new('JamesRodriguez')