Alex -

Let's take a step back and try out the "famous" index and "animals"
bucket type, which you have confirmed are set up correctly. This
(untested) code should create an object ("cat-1") in the "cats" bucket
(within the "animals" bucket type), which will then be indexed by the
"famous" index:

bucket = client.bucket_type('animals').bucket('cats')
obj = RiakObject(client, bucket, 'cat-1')
obj.content_type = 'application/json'
obj.data = { 'name': 'Felix', 'species': 'Felis catus' }
obj.store()

--
Luke Bakken
CSE