Hi Simon,

The spreadsheet is referenced from the LevelDB's parameter planning [0].

A ring_size defines the number of vnodes (virtual nodes) a riak cluster
runs internally, and as each virtual node is implemented as an Erlang
process, the bigger the ring_size is, the more memory is required from the
operating system.

[0]
http://docs.basho.com/riak/1.4.12/ops/advanced/backends/leveldb/#Parameter-Planning

Regards,