Thanks Magnus & John.

Yes certainly I will test it on a separate cluster first! Which is related
to another question I have.

If I want to backup I can archive the directories on the nodes as described
here:
http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/running/backups/#OS-Specific-Directory-Locations

But in order to verify the backup (or perform operations on the cluster in
'offline' mode), can I simply bring up a separate 5 node cluster and untar
the backup files?
(Probably not the /etc/riak directory, but the data and ring directories.)

I want to do that, and then try adding a riak 2.0.6 node to the test riak
1.4.2 cluster and see if things are ok.

Thanks,

Sujay