Hi Sujay,

This is where we get into the fact that maintaining docs across many
versions is a hard problem :)

You'll want to follow the instructions laid out in
http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/running/nodes/renaming/#Clusters-from-Backups
(the
Clusters from Backup section, specifically). That outlines the instructions
on renaming the ring on an existing new cluster from backup. (And keep in
mind what I said earlier about renaming the Erlang cookie in vm.args).

Since it's written for Riak version 2, you'll want to cross-reference it
with the slightly older version of the doc, that you're looking at,
http://docs.basho.com/riak/1.4.2/ops/running/nodes/renaming/ . The
procedure should be largely the same, just the names of the config files
are different.