For what it's worth, I've successfully used KV features inside of Riak
TS and tested it quite a lot, including with a heavy load. As John said,
I didn't use multi-backend and I disabled AAE.

Riak TS was happy when using Gets, Sets, bucket types, and including
CRDTs (I tested only the Set CRDTs). So you can go ahead and test these
features, they should work fine, at least for now.

That said, I would not recommend using this in production in the long
term. Instead, use a different cluster for KV. However, different
cluster doesn't have to mean different hardware. You could setup Riak KV
and Riak TS alongside on the same nodes (you need some work to have
separate configuration, data directory, different cookies, etc, but it's not a
lot of work). Granted, both clusters will share resources, but having
them running on the same nodes has a lot of benefits in term of
maintenance and administration.

Cheers,
Damien Krotkine