From: Matthew Von-Maszewski <matth...@basho.com>
Date: Monday, April 3, 2017 at 1:20 PM
To: Rohit Sanbhadti <sanbhadtiro...@vmware.com>
Cc: "riak-users@lists.basho.com" <riak-users@lists.basho.com>
Subject: Re: anti_entropy and solr taking up suspiciously large amounts of space

Rohit,

My apologies for the delayed reply.  Too many conflicting demands on my time
the past two weeks.

I reviewed the riak-debug package you shared.  I also discussed its contents
with other Riak developers.

There does not appear to be anything unexpected.  The anti_entropy bloat is due
to the bitcask backend not actively communicating TTL expirations to AAE.  This
is a known issue.  Similarly, bitcask is not communicating TTL expirations to
solr.  (The leveldb backend recently added expiry / TTL.  And it fails the same
way in this scenario as bitcask.)

We have engineering designs in the works that will eventually correct this
situation.  But the designs do not translate to code that you can use today.
My apologies.

--> The 100% accurate approach today is to disable bitcask's TTL and create
external jobs that prune your data via Delete operations.  Yes, this is going
to create a bunch of extra disk operations.  But I am being honest.

--> You could reduce only the anti_entropy disk usage by changing the
"anti_entropy" setting in riak.conf from "active" to "passive".  But this does
nothing for solr.

Matthew

On Mar 22, 2017, at 10:56 AM, Matthew Von-Maszewski