Brian  wrote:

>Finally, I should mention in response to Armel that at least here at
>NIST, most requests for time are scheduled within 2-8 weeks of when we
>get them (see http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/~toby/bt1.html).

The confirmation of what I suspected : some peoples are
more equal than others !-). Looking at the two quite different
X-ray and neutron communities applying the Rietveld
method, I note that this is mainly the neutron community
that is not preoccupated by improving the positions of the
heavy atoms by using X-ray ;-). Few people are seen
simultaneously in both lists below (those who would feel
concerned by a double refinement). X-ray seems inaccessible
to many neutron experts or at least lacking of any interest, and
vice  versa. The most productive neutron experts are 3x more
productive than the X-ray experts, probably because the
birth of X-ray Rietveld applications is more recent (~1981
with DBW, possibly). But  it seems to me that Rietveld
adaptation to X-ray was made by X-ray experts, because
neutron experts did not care a lot about doing it.

Why X-ray users should be interested in the precision on light
atoms when neutron users don't seem to care about heavy
atoms ?

Of course this is only kidding and provocative opinion, as
usual. I love both radiations, indeed. However, I tend to think
that a simultaneous refinement could eventually degrade
the heavy atom position accuracy AND degrade the light
atoms accuracy. The former being better from the X-ray only
and the latter from the neutron only, not to speak of the various
problems that hurt me like, for instance :
- the need to refine two sets of cell parameters, inevitably
slightly different if both data are of high resolution.
- not exactly the same temperature
- bulk with neutrons, surface with X-ray

Giving the results of 2 independent refinements seems better
to me.

Armel

==============ICSD data=======================
http://pcb4122.univ-lemans.fr/icsd/icsdrndp.txt

Authors versus numbers of Neutron Rietveld-refined
structures in ICSD - release 1998/1
(REM=RVP AND REM=NDP : 3276 entries).
324     Fischer P
240     Jorgensen J D
189     Hewat A W
171     Hinks D G
125     Dabrowski B
115     Hitterman R L
110     Vogt T
108     Shaked H
107     Marezio M
105     Radaelli P G
103     Weller M T
101     Rodriguez-Carvajal J

http://pcb4122.univ-lemans.fr/icsd/icsdrxdp.txt

Authors versus numbers of conventional X-ray
Rietveld-refined structures in ICSD - release 1998/1
(REM=RVP AND REM=XDP : 2557 entries).
122     Kanno R
107     Takeda Y
104     Kawamoto Y