From: Andreas Leineweber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 11:09 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Defining the origin of P2/n

This problem can actually quite simply be solved without tables:
There is the old rule (which crystrallographers a definitely able to prove) to obtain the crystal class:
1.delete the Bravais type symbol (delete P in case of P2/n)
2.substitute screw axes by the correspondingly oriented simple rotations (we already have a rotation, 2(1) becomes 2)
3.substitute glide planes by mirror planes with the same orientation.  (2/n becomes 2/m)
This gives you the symbol of the crystal class/crystallographic point group.
Thus you can see that P2/n belongs to the crystal class 2/m, which has a centre of inversion. All space group types belonging to a
centrosymmetric crystal class have one or several Wyckoff sites with centre of inversion. Therefore, there must be a position (there are several ones) with fixed z coordinate.
Andreas Leineweber

Kurt Leinenweber wrote:
Yes, but the atom doesn't have to sit there, unlike in the case of 2/m.  So,
GSAS has to fix z for one atom...

I don't have my International Tables with me, please correct me if I'm wrong
(there should be no sites with a fixed z parameter in P2/n).

			- Kurt

-------

Kurt Leinenweber
Department of Chemistry