Hi,
Looking at the attached file, my opinion is that this effect is caused by a
quite large divergent (or both divergent and anti-scattering) slits. It is
not normal to have over 1000 counts at 5 degrees 2-theta. This could be due
either by a portion of incident beam or by a scattering from the sample
holder. It is not clear if your XRD is equipped with variable slits. If yes,
William is correct - try to adjust them properly. I was working some years
ago with variable slits diffractometer and as I remember I had hard time
trying to collect good quality data below 3 degrees 2-theta. Now I have a
fixed slits goniometer and I am easily getting pretty good patterns even
below 1 degree 2-theta - by appropriate setting of the slits. I think this
is one important benefit of using fixed slits - the higher quality of low
theta scans.
Dear Chuisy, with appropriate slits arrangement, at 5 degrees 2-theta you
should have almost horizontal background level and every peak should be well
displayed on the pattern. So, if you have fixed slit system - try with
smaller divergent and anti-scattering slits. It would be better if you use
as a test sample something that provides peaks below 5 degrees in order to
check and control the quality of peaks appearance on the pattern while
adjusting the slits.
Don't forget: for good quality low theta data it is critical to have a large
sample width (or length - depends on the view). My sample holders for low
theta data collection are rectangular shaped 18x35 mm with different depths.
The beam must be kept as much as it is possible within the sample area.
Good luck,
Srebri

Dr. Sr. Petrov, PXRD Analyses,
Dept. of Chemistry, University of Toronto
Tel/Fax: (416)-978-1389.