Dear Jens,

Peter Sthephens is right, try first to see if you have an anisotropic strain
effect. But if not, it doesn't mean that you have not a simple size effect,
not necessarily staking faults. The size anisotropy model in GSAS is in fact
the rod (or plate) model (I wonder why the needles model was not
introduced - sin(phi) in place of cos(phi)) and you have to give apriori the
"broadening axis". For non cubic is easy to guess because frequently is the
n-fold axis (n=2,3,4,6) and the average over equivalents has no effect. But
as Peter said the guess is ambiguous for cubic (and not only). Nevertheless
you have an approach for size anisotropy that needs no apriori information
(except the Laue group), the spherical harmonics approach. For details see
the same (J. Appl. Cryst. 31, 176 (1998)). In spite of some skeptical
opinions (not clearly argued) the approach is enough robust and you can
expect to obtain accurate volume averaged column length as function of
direction.

Best wishes,

Nicolae Popa