From http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/cif/faq/

# What is DDL3?

DDL version 3 is the name given to some work in progress by Syd Hall and his colleagues at the University of Western Australia. It is intended to build on the greater consistency and data typing abilities of DDL2 without tying the data model too closely to that of a relational database. A particular goal of DDL3 is to introduce methods into data dictionaries through a formal language known as dREL (Dictionary Regular Expression Language).

I've not seen a DDL3 example, but many cases can probably be covered with what is in pdCIF already.

The application which does the plotting doesn't need to end up inside the cif as part of the file, but the equation linking detector pixels to Q could be very useful. There has been a good deal of effort already in ImageCIF for single crystal experimental data.

I understood Maud can read and plot cifs already, and is written in Java? Could there be a browser plugin version for this?

Best,

Jon