From: Mibeck, Blaise [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wed 9/17/2008 12:22 PM
To: rietveld_l@ill.fr
Subject: Beginer problems, difficulty charecterizing our diffractometer...

I am re-learning GSAS to bring Rietveld to my department (for the first time).
We have an old Phillips Xpert.

I am trying to refine a quartz standard to acquire my profile and instrument
parameters for this instrument and have yet to get my Chi^2 below 500. The
instrument is not in my direct control. I have caught and asked them to correct
a few problems already (dwell time too low, aluminum sneaking into the beam,
etc...) and this has helped. I would like not to annoy them any more than I
have too.

At this point I think my high Chi^2s are mainly due to low angle asymmetric
peaks that my fit is not able to copy - the asym is not terrible but may be
messing me up. I am getting better results with peak profile functions 3 and 4,
but unable to get Chi^2 below 500. My scans go up to 70 degrees 2theta.

I would like to tell the people caring for the instrument that my problem is on
their end, but I am not confident in my own refining skills to say this. When I
work with the tutorials or standard data from my graduate school experiment I
am ok - I think I am proceeding in a reasonable way, although I can get stuck
here and there.

I would like to find out if I am doing something incorrectly or if the problem
is instrument related. I hate to bug one of you but wonder if I could get
someone to look at my work?? Is there a better forum for asking for this kind
of help?

Kindest regards to all of you,

Blaise

Blaise Mibeck