Dear All:

Indeed, despite some more advanced approaches to modeling diffraction line
shapes, the good, old Cagliotti function is still in use probably for
historical reasons (as it is the case with many other things in sciences).
However, to be fair to (practically all major) Rietveld programs, the
original Cagliotti function (Gaussian term) was a long time ago amended by a
Lorentzian contribution (linear in FWHM as opposed to a quadratic Gaussian
term). This term immensely helps to accurately model high-resolution
measurements, both x-ray and neutron (see, for instance examples of ESRF and
ISIS data in Size-Strain Line-Broadening Analysis of the Ceria Round-Robin
Sample, Journal of Applied Crystallography 37 (2004) 911-924--article and
data available at http://www.du.edu/~balzar/s-s_rr.htm).

As discussed in this thread, the original Cagliotti function often gets into
trouble because of the square root of a negative number. Bill David
described a much better function. Thus, the general approach described by
Bill and in the article cited above is to refine coefficient of a function
used on a pattern obtained from a suitable "standard", such as LaB6, and
then fix them (unfortunately, not always possible for all instruments,
because some instrumental parameters depend on the angle in the same way as
the strain term in the Bragg-Brentano geometry). Moreover, for
high-resolution data it might be helpful to add a Lorentzian FWHM to that
expression and then post it to Wikipedia or perhaps publish a paper... :-)

Davor

However, as the particles become smaller, does one not need to > address the
contribution of the "surface" of the particles?