Dear Mr Bhowmik,

do not expect a massive metal ingot to be necessarily free of preferred orientation, in particular in presence of a dendritic microstucture. Thus it should be no surprise to observe wrong reflection intensities.
Or did you manage to make a "powder" from your Cr based material?

Another nasty effect that may affect your expected intensities is that a pattern may look like to be originated from the C14 polytype but it is in fact from layer-faulted C36. This was recently reported by Aufrecht et al. /Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc./ *1128* (2009) U08-07.

Note furthermore, that Laves phases can exhibit a large variety of polytypes (as you will know), which are even more intergrown and can contain stacking faults. Thus often the powder-diffraction pattern exhibited by a Laves phase (or of another layered structure) is often not simply the superposition of the patterns expected for the observed (e.g. by TEM) stacked polytype blocks but the situation can become very complex.

Best regards
A. Leineweber, J. Aufrecht

A. Bhowmik wrote:
Hello, I am studying a refractory metal Laves phase (Cr-Cr2X-based) system. My alloys arc arc melted an annealed. Hence it has a typical dendritic microstructure. The two phases in the material are Cr-rich and the intermetallic Cr2X. The Cr phase has a bcc and the intermetallic has a complex C14 (Strukturbericht designation) crystal structures.

Now I am a GSAS user. In doing structure refinement of my system using Rietveld method, the problem that I am having, currently, is that I am not able to fit the intensities of all the peaks present, particularly the strongest relections from the Cr-peaks and some peaks of the other Laves phase, which is why I am only reading off the lattice parameters from my fit and nothing else apart from that. I have not tried imposing any 'preferred orientation' on the material, however, since mine one is simply as-cast and annealed.

Can you suggest a way out to make this work, please?

kind regards

--
Dr. Andreas Leineweber
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Metallforschung