My personal feelings are that regardless of the origin of the idea, Hugo did
the work that made crystallographic full pattern fitting possible. That
implementation was not just a “programming task” as the minimal capabilities of
computers of the day required significant innovation for memory and
computational efficiency. The reasons why “Rietveld Analysis” is my preferred
name for this technique are spelled out in chapter 4.7 of Volume H of the
International Tables and I will not repeat them here, but I also like to draw
additional attention to his minimally-credited method for intensity extraction,
which was later cleverly extended into the LeBail technique. His solo 1967
paper outlined the groundwork needed to fit all peaks in a pattern.

I was not active in the days when this work was done, and only spoke with Hugo
twice, though we also exchanged a few e-mails, but I did have the chance to
speak with many people who were active in CW neutron diffraction in those days.
All were very supportive of the name "Rietveld Analysis”; none ever commented
about to giving too much credit to Hugo. Those people included Ted Prince, who
himself proved the statistical superiority of Rietveld Analysis over other
approaches.

One minor update on what is below. Hugo’s original code, as published solo in
1969, was written in Algol, but to make the technique more accessible, he
rewrote his program in Fortran and he circulated that widely (unpublished).
After Alan, his Fortran code went through many hands (including mine) with new
features added from each; this is also discussed in ITH 4.7. However, GSAS was
an all-new program in its day and did not use any of Hugo’s code.

Brian