Hi David,

the MetaData version is simply a newer API for the same approach. Note that in several areas Bamboo isn't using the latest and greatest so some things aren't the most recommended approach nowadays.

For the activateValidation method, initially we just setup ValidationRules there. Afterwards we added constraints and used the same method for it. Semantically this isn't correct since constraints provide much more than just validation, so we added a more appropriate method when the MetaData merging was implemented. They both do exactly the same thing though, so you can freely use any of the approaches.

Hope this clarifies it.

Best regards,

Geert