On 20/05/2016 22:08, Phillip Remaker wrote:

> When most flash sticks get errored out enough, they permanently fail
> into a read only mode, or become fully unreadable. Read-only mode can
> be reset on some models, but it is not recommended by the vendor.  At
> least one of the failed SANdisk units I had was stuck in a read-only mode.
>
> Also, probes may be subjected to ungraceful power down situations,
> depending on where they are stationed. That can also be a flash drive
> killer.
>
> I don't think we are hitting the write limits of the sticks. I suspect
> the units are often in underpowered or ungraceful pwoer-down
> situations, or the USB flash itself is not responding gracefully to
> poweroff situations.
>
> I don't suppose RIPE buys enough USB sticks to get to talk to
> engineers at SanDISK?

Sandisk R&D is located in Israel:
http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-sandisk-acquisition-affects-650-israeli-employees-1001075338
I could probably arrange a meeting with the technical staff there
provided there is a clear document detailing the issue.
Maybe RIPE ATLAS technical staff would like to come to a meeting?

Regards,
Hank