On 2016/05/21 21:32 , Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> On 20/05/2016 22:08, Phillip Remaker wrote:
>> I don't suppose RIPE buys enough USB sticks to get to talk to
>> engineers at SanDISK?
>>
> Sandisk R&D is located in Israel:
> http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-sandisk-acquisition-affects-650-israeli-employees-1001075338
> I could probably arrange a meeting with the technical staff there
> provided there is a clear document detailing the issue.
> Maybe RIPE ATLAS technical staff would like to come to a meeting?

We switched from SanDisk to Verbatim because the failure rate of the
SanDisk was too high.

Unfortunately, the log files that contain details about the USB sticks
are archived in a way that makes them hard to access. But we will try to
analyze those logs soon to see what we can get out of them.

Independent of that, it would be nice if we could figure out a way to
induce failures (instead of having to way for probes in the field to end
up with a corrupt filesystem) and to figure out what causes those failures.

One thing we currently wonder is if a marginal power supply (as seen
from the USB stick) would cause corruption or not.

Philip