Hi,

On 22-11-17, Eduardo Duarte wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After the recent launch of the Quad9 service I try to discover if it had
> a best response time them my actual resolver, that is google public DNS.
>
> To do this I launch a comparing measurement using atlas that would run
> during one day to the same address from the probes in my ISP.
> The address that I was trying has a very high TTL so I was expecting to
> always hit the cache of the servers and them get a good comparison base.
> I know that there are other factors involve in server response time but
> to my home connection I fill that this where enough.

Instead of asking for a regular name, you can query a special name like
"version.bind" in the CHAOS class.  These queries are always answered
directly, so it simulates a 100% cache hit and allows you to measure the
RTT towards a resolver.

To test with dig:

  $ dig @9.9.9.9 CH version.bind TXT

See https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/9740262/ for a real measurement